To CMS or Not To CMS
A CMS (or Content Management System) is a web based application that provides the means for the site-owner to add/change/delete pages without the need of a developers interaction. There are countless CMS engines avaiable in every price range, from free to thousands of dollars. They vary in features and complexity, and some offer a great deal of control over the look and function of website. We can design a template for most any CMS engine you choose and manage the installation or, if you can’t find one that fits your needs, we can build a custom one for you.
Following is a comparison of the pros and cons for CMS sites and Traditional sites:
- Client control of content
- No waiting for updates
- Can be departmentalized
- No cost for additional pages
- Design change by replacing template
- Some engines have many templates available
- Some engines are well supported
- Client responsible for content
- Can end up looking unprofessional
- Troubleshooting can be problematic
- Some engines have few templates
- Some engines are poorly supported
- Some experience necessary
- Designer control of Content
- Design integrity guaranteed
- No experience necessary
- Designer Responsible for Content
- Updates may be delayed
- New pages can involve additional costs
Know what you want?
Click here to learn about our design process.